Welcome to the Aylmer District Trapper's Council (ADTC) landowner information page. This page is intended to serve as a starting point for landowners who are potentially seeking to have their property trapped, or have already decided to have it trapped and are looking to make contact with an ADTC trapper. After a brief introduction you will find a series of frequently asked questions pertaining to trapping. From there, should any questions you might have be unanswered, please contact the ADTC via the form below.


Trappers are a valuable resource to Ontario's landowners. Whether for farmers seeking crop damage mitigation or conservationists wanting to manage the species on their property to the benefit of the whole, trappers possess the unique wildlife management skills to accomplish a myriad of tasks. Contrary to the untruths propagated by those who oppose sustainable harvest, trappers do not remove a local population of any certain species in the name of profit. Often, by harvesting the surplus population, crop damage can be lessened as more preferred foods are pressured less, nuisance wildlife remains in natural spaces due to an increase in the availability of suitable shelter, and wildlife as a whole benefit from the lack of disease and proper nutrition. The eyes and ears of the bush, trappers track the spread of invasive species, possess detailed records of their yearly harvest as a reference to track population trends, and work on numerous stewardship activities throughout the year. Often, as a result, trappers form unique friendships with landowners on whose properties they trap.

Frequently asked questions

Why should I prefer an ADTC trapper over a non-member trapper?

The ADTC prides itself on the continuing education of its trappers. Be it through seminars regarding new techniques, new equipment, methods of conservation, or the science behind wildlife management, our members simply have a greater degree of education pertaining to trapping as a management tool than those who are not members. We are closely affiliated with and ardent supporters of the Ontario Fur Manager's Federation who share in our passion for trapper education.

If I allow trapping on my property, are the traps they use dangerous to myself, family, or livestock?

One of the most important factors in regards to trapping related safety is communication. With modern tools such as cellular and other electronic communication, knowing when a trapper you have allowed will be working on your property has never been more convenient. Often flagged, traps can be easy enough to recognize in the event that you might be also active within the natural space alongside the trapper. Simply asking for a brief demonstration for the purposes of safety can save everyone involved from potential danger. Open lines of communication and education where there might be uncertainty are the hallmarks of a healthy and mutually beneficial relationship. All Aylmer District Trapper's Council members are happy to provide a demonstration of the traps employed to harvest whichever species have been agreed upon.

How often can I expect a trapper to be on my property?

Many factors influence how often a trapper might be present on site, primarily being the landowner's wishes. Some determining factors may also include, the trapper's schedule, property size, density of surplus animals, and logistics. It is important that both parties enter into an agreement fully understanding exactly what is being agreed upon. One thing all trappers love to do is talk trapping, and are more than happy to discuss the topic of frequency at length. The duration of trapping could range from being merely a few consecutive days to several weeks throughout a trapping season. Regardless of the agreed upon duration, if restraints are employed, a trapper will be on site every 24 hours to check their traps.

If I allow a trapper access to my property, will I be surprised by a group of people suddenly expecting access to my property?

No. The land use agreement grants permission to only the trapper whose name and trapper ID are present on it at the time of signing. Some trappers might have another individual with them for assistance or a youth learning to trap, though this should be agreed upon prior to the commencement of any trapping.

Why am I being asked to sign a Ministry Document, and is it a contract?

The land use agreement form is not a contract, it is merely proof of consent which can be rescinded at the behest of the landowner simply by communicating such to the trapper. Proof of consent is required by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry before trapping can occur. It is not unusual for land use forms to be valid for several years when a positive relationship and open lines of communication are present between a landowner and trapper.

I have given permission to a group of hunters to hunt on my property, can I still have it trapped?

Absolutely. Some finessing of their schedule may be required, but most properties who have an active trapper working on them are also hunted by other individuals. The Aylmer District Trapper's Council vehemently supports the Ontario Fur Managers Federation's stance that natural spaces can be enjoyed by all.

This all sounds good, though I'm still unsure if having a trapper is right for me. Can I contact a trapper to discuss the option further?

Of course you can. The Aylmer District Trapper's Council recognizes every opportunity to discuss potential trapping opportunities as an act of stewardship and education. Though the internet can be an informative place, it's often full of purposely misleading information and false statements. There is no better tool available than a face to face conversation with an actual trapper.

Sounds great, but how do I contact a trapper?

There are numerous ways to get in touch with a member of the Aylmer District Trapper's Council. Aside from contacting the Ontario Fur Manager's Federation or the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, contact with the Aylmer District Trapper's Council (ADTC) can be made via any of our social media platforms or through the form at the bottom of this page. The form submission is sent directly to the ADTC Executive who contacts the nearest trapper to you. The ADTC does not distribute member information as a matter of privacy. As a result, the trapper whose proximity is closest to you will contact you based on the information you have provided.

Landowner contact form

Please complete this form in its entirety. The Aylmer District Trapper's Council appreciates that some wildlife control is time sensitive and as such will review your submission as soon as possible. The process of locating an active trapper near you is greatly more efficient if all fields are completed. 

Who should submit this form?

  • Landowners seeking a trapper

  • Landowners seeking additional information about trapping

Who should NOT submit this form?

  • Trappers interested in becoming an ADTC member (please use the form found on our membership page)

  • Individuals looking for information regarding the courses required to apply for a trapping license in Ontario (please contact the Ontario Fur Manager's Federation)

Name *